Let's Talk about your Relationship with Voice Picking
Feb 14, 2023
Studies estimate that nearly 45% of warehouses nationwide will have adopted some form of voice automation by 2024. However, as warehouses face more consumer demands with a smaller labor pool, that goal might be reached earlier than expected. Unlike traditional fulfillment technologies, voice picking gained greater traction during the 2020 pandemic as businesses sought for solutions to ease their strained teams. Struggling operations often reported:
- High labor turnover rates
- Extra expenses on complex training
- 11% drain in profitability from overlooked errors
- Missed shipping deadlines
- Communication breakdowns between receiving and picking teams
Several tech leaders – most notably Honeywell and Zebra – have revolutionized the voice picking space with easy-to-deploy, durable technologies compatible with most legacy and next-generation systems. Besides driving down training times by 85%, voice picking solutions empower operations with many unique benefits.
3 Ways Voice Picking Sets You Ahead of Competition
Although labor turnover rates have eased slightly at the end of 2022, researchers still expect shortages to impact the modern supply chain along with persistent inflation, rising fuel costs, and several new compliance standards across the nation. To address current challenges while preserving future adaptability, voice picking solutions equip teams with...
- Dependable order accuracy – Technology developers suspect that many picking errors are not entirely the picker’s fault. Inconsistent inventory visibility during put-away and replenishment may result in the wrong product being placed on the right shelf. Picking teams following directions on a touchscreen may not catch the inaccuracy until it’s too late. On the other hand, voice picking does not require workers to watch a screen, freeing them to verify orders more naturally. Moreover, by connecting to the central WMS, your teams can update inventory data, preventing up to 80% of errors from slipping unnoticed.
- Accelerated order fulfillment – Around 6 out of 10 consumers expect orders to be shipped within 3 days of placing an order. Nevertheless, 80% of surveyed distributors still operate within a 5-to-8-shipping-day-model. Voice picking delivers 15% faster fulfillment speeds without compromising accuracy. Incoming orders are diffused and updated in real-time through a voice-guided system to optimize the picker’s route and accelerate throughput.
- Guided maintenance and inspections – Ongoing maintenance prevents worker injury and sudden breakdowns and downtime. In addition to facilitating inventory movement, voice commands can also direct safety checklists. Workers equipped with headsets can simply follow audio instructions and confirm completion through a hands-free system. Furthermore, WALL-TO-WALL CONNECTIVITY enables seamless documentation of your checklist and any uncovered issues, facilitating future audits without errors.
Want to compare traditional and voice picking? Download our guide to get started.
Every business is unique; however, today’s globalized supply chain forces many companies into similar and/or connected challenges. Voice picking offers vital flexibility to strengthen unique operations and mainstream workflows. When working alongside a robust support team, integration and maintenance become simpler, allowing you to leverage the benefits of voice picking with minimal disruptions. Reach out to our voice automation teams to learn how you can get started.